Welcome to Upon Butterfly Wings and thank you for taking the time to view this section of our website. UBW accept donations of wedding, bridesmaid and flower girl dresses from across the UK.
Clothing made from your dress will be donated to hospitals, mortuaries, funeral directors and children’s hospices and will also be used in our Emergency Packs sent directly to parents.
HOW TO DONATE YOUR DRESS
PLEASE NOTE THAT THERE IS CURRENTLY A 3-6 MONTH WAITING LIST FOR DONATIONS. OUR LADIES ARE CURRENTLY WORKING HARD TO GET THROUGH THE BACKLOG. WE ARE MORE THAN HAPPY TO ADD YOU TO OUR WAITING LIST BUT WILL NOT BE ABLE TO TAKE YOUR DRESS FROM YOU IN THE MEAN TIME.
THE CAN AND CANT’S – It is important you read through the below before offering your dress
- Accept wedding, bridesmaids, flower girl and ball gowns in the following colours: white, cream, ivory, light green/mint, light purples/lilacs, pinks and blues.
- Accept black dresses and dark blue/navy as these can be used as waistcoats or trousers on the boy outfits.
- Accept dresses of any style, design, material and make
- Accept dresses of any age – as along as they do not smell musty
- Accept dresses which are multi-coloured or patterned
We CAN NOT:
- Accept Red and Dark Yellow material as these enhance the skin of our babies.
- Accept dresses with a musty smell or which have yellowing stains on them. Sadly through past experience, it is almost impossible to rid the smell and stain even after dry cleaning.
- Dry clean your dress for you as we do not have the funds. If your dress is particulary dirty and it will fit into a washing machine, please wash on a delicate wash before posting
- Store your dress at our head office as we simply do not have the room. Please keep hold of it until you are matched with a seamstress
THE PROCESS – How it all Works
- Once you have made contact, we take down your email address and area that you live.
- We try our hardest match you with a seamstress local to you, but due to the limited amount of seamstresses that we have, this isn’t always possible.
- Once a seamstress becomes available, we will email you to ask if you are still interested in donating your dress. YOU ARE ABLE TO CHANGE YOU MIND AT ANY TIME.
- If you give the go ahead, we will provide you with the name and postal address of your seamstress – should they not live local – and provide you with a form to print, complete and include within your dress when posting.
- You have 4 weeks to post your dress. If you are unable to do so, or if we do not hear from you after this time, we will remove you from our waiting list and contact the next person who is waiting. IT IS REALLY IMPORTANT THAT YOU TELL US IF YOU HAVE CHANGED YOUR MIND AT ANYTIME AS THIS SAVES US TIME CHASING YOU
- Once you have posted your dress, please email us to let us know, so that we can let our seamstress know to expect it.
- We ask our seamstress to take a photo of your dress upon arrival.
- Once your dress is with a seamstress please wait patiently as it can take a few months to fully transform your dress. Our ladies are all volunteers.
- Once your dress has been transformed, we will email you with photos and a small keepsake from your dress will be posted to you separately. Photos of your dress and our gowns will be uploaded to our Facebook and Instagram accounts and here on our website.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION – Please Read
- Please make sure that when you send your dress you include your name, postal and email address.
- We have a limited amount of seamstresses and therefore the waiting list can take up to six months.
- Please do not post your dress to the PO Box address. Once you have reached the top of the waiting list, we will contact you with the name and address of your seamstress to post or deliver your dress to.
- Once your dress is with a seamstress please wait patiently as it can take a few months to fully transform your dress.
- We can not guarantee you a seamstress in your local area so you will be required to cover the cost of postage to your allocated seamstress. Please keep this in mind before offering us your dress.
- We can not take requests of certain items being made from your dress. We make to patterns which are most needed by the bereavement services.
- If you change your mind at any time, please let us know. We wont hold it against you and you can change your mind back at any time too. Likewise, if you have already donated your dress to a similar charity, that’s fine too but please let us know so that we can remove you from our list and give someone else a chance to donate.
- If we contact you to advise that a seamstress has become available and you do not answer within 7 days, you will be removed from our waiting list and the next person will be offered the chance of donating. Likewise, if we see that you have read our message on Facebook but not replied, we will presume that you are no longer able to donate and someone else given your spot.
- If you have not posted your dress within 4 weeks nor have you made contact to say that there is an issue, we will presume that you are no longer interested and we will remove you from our waiting list and your spot given to someone else who is waiting.